Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Andiamo A Italia Con Mia Famiglia!

Ciao miei amici!

It's official. After seven years I'm returning to the home of most of my ancestors, Italia. My family, Heather, and I are going to Sorrento, Roma, and Venezia for 17 days at the end of June. This trip is going to be amazing. I hope to learn the language as best as I possibly can in the next 5 months so that I can hold a conversation there. Any ideas? I know Rosetta Stone is a big hit.

To commemorate the journey, I've decided to write about each place I'm looking forward to on our trip (basically everywhere). Today, I'd like to start with an easy one since I've been there before.

Capri

Capri (pronounced CAH-Pree) is a beautiful island just of the coast of Southern Italia in the bay of Napoli. The towns of Capri and Anacapri rest on this picturesque little vacation spot. The seafood is delicious and the melon is the sweetest I ave ever tasted. In fact, the best meal I have ever had was in Capri. It was prosciutto and cantaloupe.

The most fantastic feature of this island is on the list of Top 100 Places To See Before You Die. It is the "La Grotto Azzurra", or "The Blue Grotto". There is a cove that naturally formed in the side of the island with an opening of about 3 feet above the water during low tide. You enter on a little rowboat into the cove and at first you see a light reflecting off the back wall. When you turn around and look at the entrance, the namesake becomes clear.

The scene is enchanting as the water glows with a mystical blue light that looks as though it only could have been conjured by a wizard. It is amazing. In this location, the sun hits the crystal clear water in such a way through the small entrance that the blue light reflects up in the grotto. It is like nothing I have ever seen.

Capri is expensive too and that is why we will only be making a day trip there. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to be returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment