Friday, August 10, 2012

The Land Of Éire

Dublin, Galway, Killarney

Two days from now I'll be up in the sky with Heather flying over the Atlantic Ocean to the ancestral home of our fore-bearers. Ireland! We both have family that made the long journey across the sea centuries ago from the Emerald Island. We are so excited.

Did I pack everything?! I think so. I hate forgetting stuff. This time I'm feeling pretty confident though even though half my luggage isn't even in my suitcase. Silly me decided it would be a good idea to work the day before we leave so I still have work tomorrow from 1-10.

We are flying Sunday evening from New York and will arrive in Dublin early Monday morning after a brief stop in London. I really hope we can sleep on the plane and that we don't have some giant person sitting next to us. Last time I went to Europe I was in the middle seat of the middle row of the plane. By hour number six, I was going stir crazy.

Dublin: Our first stop will be..... Guiness baby! Heather and I will be drinking lots of this (whether she likes it or not) because one must drink lots of Guiness in Ireland, especially Dublin. With classic Irish music pub tours and the awesomeness that awaits, needless to say we are psyched for Dublin.

Waterford Crystal is next since we received a free excursion there. Hopefully we can check out some caves or something really cool. Waterford is near the water so maybe we can grab some seafood on the southern coast of Ireland while we are in town.

Galway: That is next location on our trek across the country. We aren't sure of too many notable experiences people have had in Galway but I'm sure we will find some amazing sights. The cliffs of Moher are supposedly a must see and we are lucky enough to have a rental car revved up for us for the duration of the trip.

Killarney: The final city we get to set up camp in before our departure. Dingle is close to Killarney and they say that's a pretty cool village on the west coast. Then of course, the Blarney Castle. I hope we see lots of castles on our way. I want to try every strange food and drink that I can. Heather said there is lamb on almost every menu there. Mmmmmmmmm..... lamb.

So wish us luck on our epic journey through Ireland!

Also, I was just thinking. What a strange name for a country right? Ireland. The Land of Ire. So I looked it up.

 "The 'Ire' in Ireland comes from the name for Ireland in Irish (Gaelic): Éire (pronounced air-eh). This in turn comes from Ériu (air-ruh), a pre-Christian Mother Goddess worshiped widely across ancient Ireland." -
Thanks for clearing that up for us Domhnall! Maybe we'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment